The Sailor's House Museum works in Matila House in Pikisaari, Oulu, which is the oldest surviving wooden house in town. The building once served as a customs house, and its historical sources date back to the 1730s. The building was not damaged by a major fire in 1822. The museum is supported by the Museum of Northern Ostrobothnia.
Originally the building served as a tullitupan from Oulu to Liminki, leading to the road, from where it was moved to Pikisaari in 1983. The building was decorated in the style of 1880s as the home of a sailor according to Isak Mathilainen. The museum's exposition is a typical 1800s part of the objects that were in the Oulu house of a sailor.