Kuopio Art Museum is a regional museum of responsibility in North Savonia. The museum used to be a regional art museum and was founded in 1980 after almost 30 years of plans and temporary exhibition space.
Art Museum is located in the city center near the cathedral, near the market square. The house - a former bank building.
In the collection of the Art Museum Kuopio about 6700 works. Collections consist mainly of Finnish art. The ensemble includes Kuopio Art Museum, Kuopio, Osk. From the collections of Huttunen, Leonardo da Vilhu and Pekka Halonen and other individual collections.
The own collection of the Kuopio Art Museum has been replenished since 1981. It contains over 800 works, most of which are modern art from North Savonia and art history classics from the 19th century to the present day. The collection is exhibited at the main Lintucoto exhibition. It includes works by the Juho Rissanen and Von Wright brothers, among others.
The collection of Kuopio is replenished since 1949 and includes more than 1900 works. The works are mainly exhibited throughout the city, including in offices, institutions and other public places.
Osk. Huttunen's collection of art includes 91 works that Huttunen bequeathed to the city of Kuopio "at the beginning of the Savo Art Museum". The collection of Leonardo da Vilhu, or Risto Vilhunen, includes more than 2000 works, mainly drawing and graphics by contemporary Finnish artists. The collection was donated to the Art Museum in 2010. In 2008, the Art Museum received a collection of 150 works by Pekka Halonen, which includes, among others, Finnish and international painting of the 1980s.
Other collections include the Association of Friends of Nature of Kuopio and J. Kupio. Fr. The Ash's collections.
The Saastamoinen Foundation's work was in possession of the museum from 1980 to 1999, but due to lack of space, the collection was deposited in Espoo City and placed in EMMA in 1999.
A large exhibition in 2008 was an exhibition dedicated to the 50th anniversary of the Kuopio Ars Libera Visual Artists Association. The exhibition was held from October 10, 2008 to February 1, 2009.