Kuopio Museum is an Art Nouveau museum building, built in 1907 in the Snelman Park in Kuopio, on the outskirts of the former Custaanthori. Kuopio Museum - the third oldest museum building in Finland after Helsinki Ateneum (1887) and the Turku Art Museum (1904). It has national romantic features and was inspired by Finnish castles such as Olavinlinna and Vyborg Castle. The architect was I.V. Stromberg, who designed a significant part of Kuopio public buildings at the turn of the 20th century. The building was put into operation on July 2, 1907.
The Kuopio Museum accommodates the exhibition spaces of the Museum of Natural History of Kuopio and the Museum of Kuopio Cultural History. The building also housed the city library, until a new library building was built in 1967 on the adjacent area after a long turn. The Museum of Cultural History and the Museum of Natural History function as regional responsible museums.
The museum is closed for renovation, which began in 2018. At the same time, the museum will be connected to the adjacent library. It is expected that the company will open to the public in the summer of 2021.
Kuopio Museum of the last ten years has been restored carbon monoxide mammoth . Installation was completed in connection with the renovation of the main expositions of the Museum of Natural History in 1999. The opening ceremony was held on June 3, 1999. The first speaker was Kari Hakyames, then Minister of the Interior and then Mayor of Kuopio, from whom the mammoth got its name. It is said that wool mammoths once lived in the Kuopio area. The mammoth Hyaka was picked up close by a local hunter and ivory collector from the Lenayoki Valley. It was found by O. Shumakhov in 1799. It is estimated that it was about 30 years old and weighed from 5,000 to 5,500 pounds. The height in the crest is more than three meters. The mammoth was made by conservative and artist Eirik Granqvist.