Lappeenranta Fortress was originally a Swedish fortification system, which was also expanded by the Russians. Construction of the fortress began after the founding of the city of Lappeenranta in 1649.
The fort is located in the area of the fort, named after him. To the east and north of the fortress is the port of Lappeenranta. The fortress and the nearby garrison Lappeenranta, built in the 1880s, form a nationally significant architectural environment of the fortress and the garrison town of Lappeenranta.
After a trip to Vyborg in 1649, the Governor-General of Finland Peter Brahe decided to found a new city at the junction of land and water transport routes. The city plan was drawn up by Erik Nilson Aspegre in the summer of 1649. The city began with the implementation of the city plan and the inauguration of the first mayor, Johim Lenter. On September 20, 1652, the Stockholm parliament decided on Lappeenranta's special rights. Aspegren granted Lappeenranta's special rights to Governor Johan Rosenhana for a year. In early 1653, after the New World, Sweden established a border commission in autumn 1721. The general and state councilor Axel Löwen took the post of border commissioner. In 1722 Leuven placed a small garrison in the area to ensure security when crossing the border and the return of refugees. In cooperation with the governor Johan Henrik Friesenheim and General Berndt Olof Stackenberg, they decided to strengthen Lappeenranta. Piles and Spanish horses were installed to protect the resin trade in Lappeenranta ... In addition, 112 people were sent to the area to guard the store. Brothers Lieutenant Carl Fredrick and Anders Johan Nordenberg were chosen to design the fortress in 1723 . Lieutenant Colonel and housing captain Jacob Johan Faber were appointed chief designer of the fortress. Most of the fortification works were carried out in 1722-1728. After the party of hats came to power in the late 1730s, the fort received additional funding. Captain Adam Reinhardt Brunov was ordered to build additional fortifications. However, the fortification works were left in the midst of the hat war.
At the beginning of the Russian rule, the Russian border regiment was often changed. Lappeenranta fortress buildings were renewed in the footsteps of the Swedes back in the 1750s. In the 1790s, the equipment of the fortress was improved under the leadership of Count Suvorov, during which time were completed horn fortress Nicholas, crown equipment and fortifications Kimpinen and Pallo, which appear on maps in 1799. Saimaa's fleet, created in connection with Gustav's war, was a third of the Lappeenranta garrison.
During the Russian garrison in the fortress was built Church of the Cover of Christmas . It was completed in 1785 . This is the oldest Orthodox church in Finland.
After the Civil War in Finland, the fort housed the infamous camp for prisoners of war Lappeenranta, which became known for its arbitrary executions. In the camp, created by the whites, was a total of about 3000 red prisoners, of which about 500 were executed.
The western ramparts of the fortress have been restored since 2002 with the support of TE Center. The former street territory passed right at the foot of the fortification embankment, now the historical fences are dug from the foundation and the original ramparts are erected on them. The restoration of the Friesenheim Redoubt and earth walls on the western outskirts of Linnoitusniemi was carried out in accordance with the appearance of the 1720s.
The buildings of the fortress include the Museum of South Karelia, the Lappeenranta Art Museum, the Kehruuhuone Cultural and Event Center, the Majurska Cafe and the Cavalry Museum. The newest building in the fortress is the Regional Editorial House Yleisradio since 1972.
City festival called "Fortress Night" previously held annually in late July in and around the fortress. In 2013-2015, the fortress held a rock festival Rakuuna.