Finnish Crafts Museum is a museum of national responsibility in Finland, specializing in handicrafts and crafts. The museum is located on a pedestrian street in Jyväskylä and includes the Finnish National Costume Centre and the Guard Centre.
The decision to establish the Imperial Senate was taken on December 14, 1888, when in 1890 the Crafts Museum was allocated. The Museum worked under the auspices of the Finnish Association of Applied Arts together with the Museum of Applied Arts. From 1908 to 1926 the museum worked under the name of the State Museum of Cottage Industry (Helsinki) under the auspices of the State Cotton Industry Bureau. From 1927 to 1933 the museum again worked together with the Museum of Applied Arts. After 1933, the museum's collections were preserved and museum activities were discontinued. In 1982, the museum resumed its activities as an independent museum in Jyväskylä called the Finnish Museum of Home Industry (Seminaarinkatu 32). The museum was opened to the public on June 10, 1983. In 1992, the museum was named one of the first five museums that have become a national specialized museum. In 1992, was founded by the Finnish Center for National Costume. In 1995, the Center for Nature Protection, previously owned by the Jyväskylä Art and Science Foundation, was added to the museum. On January 1, 1997, the museum was renamed the Museum of Finnish Crafts.
The old collection, collected between 1906 and 1945, now contains about 2910 catalogued objects. Most of them are samples of textile, ribbon and fabric. The collection also abounds in a variety of wicker products such as baskets, bundles and tin cans. Most wooden items are crates, dishes, various household items, and large scale models.
The foreign collection is collected as a reference material and a sample for domestic production. The objects of the collection are mainly from Russia, Sweden, Norway and France. The foreign collection consists of about 1200 items.
Since the museum opened in 1983, the collections were collected mainly through donations. These donated items are usually old materials with known history of use.
New handicrafts are mainly purchased for annual purchases. They are used to store information about the use, handling and design of materials. Examples of this are mainly works and products by professional craftsmen, artists and designers.
In the 21st century, purchases were also made through discretionary project financing of national projects, such as regional handicraft documentation and modern phenomena-oriented recording.
In 2010, the collections of the Virkki Crafts Museum were transferred to the Finnish Crafts Museum as a donation from the Tuyune-Kerttu Virkki Foundation . The collections of the same name are now permanently kept in Jyväskylä to serve as more extensive manual documentation and research. The collections of about 3000 items are available for research activities and are constantly updated.
In 2013, the collections of the Wetterhoff Foundation and archival collections of student works transferred from Hämeenlinna were added to the collections.
The collections are divided into state and city collections.
The state collection includes collections formed before 1982 and collections donated after 1982 (items and other materials). The museum's collection includes items and other materials acquired after 1982.
The fact that the objects or other materials received as donations after May 1, 2004, belong to the collections of the museum or the state and, therefore, their ownership is determined according to the will of the donors.