Rosenborg Castle is a Renaissance castle located in Copenhagen, Denmark. The castle was originally built as a country summer house in 1606 and is an example of many architectural projects by Christian IV. It was built in the style of the Dutch Renaissance, typical for Danish buildings of that period, and several times expanded, finally, by 1624. Architects Bertel Lange and Hans van Stenwinkel Jr. were involved in planning the construction of the castle.
The castle was used by the Danish regents as a royal residence until around 1710. After the reign of Frederick IV, Rosenborg was used as the royal residence only twice, both times during emergencies. The first time it happened after the Christiansborg Palace burned down in 1794, and the second time during the British attack on Copenhagen in 1801.
Long Hall, located on the third floor, was built in 1624. Originally, it was planned as a ballroom. Around 1700 it was used as a Royal reception and for banquets. Only in the second half of the 19th century it became known as the "Knight's Hall".
Christian V partially modernized the hall with twelve tapestries depicting the victories of the King in the Scania War (1675-1679). The moulded ceiling that we see today dates back to the early 18th century. It shows the Danish coat of arms surrounded by the Elephant and Dannebrog Orders. Side bas-reliefs depict historical events during the first years of Frederick IV's reign, including the liberation of the serfs, the creation of dragoons and ground militias among them. Hendrick Crock's ceiling frescoes represent Regalia.
Among the main sights of Rosenborg are the coronation chair of absolutist kings and the throne of queens with three silver lions standing in front. The Long Hall also houses a large collection of silver furniture, most of which dates back to the 17th century.
The castle is open to the public for excursions, and there is a museum with royal collections, artifacts covering the entire spectrum of Danish royal culture from the late 16th century Christian IV to the 19th century. Some of these objects once belonged to the nobility and aristocracy. The castle, now owned by the state, was opened to the public in 1838.
Of particular interest to tourists is the treasury in the castle with crown jewels and Danish regalia. There is also a coronation carpet. The throne chairman of Denmark is in the castle. In summer before the castle in the castle garden flowers blossom.