Nyhavn (New Harbour) - embankment, canal and entertainment district of the 17th century in Copenhagen, Denmark. It stretches from Kongens Nytorv to the harbor south of the Royal Theatre and is surrounded by brightly colored townhouses, bars, cafes and restaurants of the 17th and early 18th centuries. The canal is lined with many historic wooden ships and is surrounded by brightly colored townhouses, bars, cafes and restaurants from the 17th and early 18th centuries.
The Nyhavn was built by King Christian V from 1670 to 1675 and dug by Swedish POWs during the Danish-Swedish War of 1658-1660. It is the gate from the sea to the old city center on Kongens Nytorv (King's Square), where ships handled the cargo and catch of fishermen. It was known for beer, sailors and prostitution. Danish writer Hans Christian Andersen lived in Nyhavn for about 18 years.
The first bridge across Nyhavn was opened in 1874. It was a temporary wooden bridge. In 1912, it was replaced by the current bridge.
As oceangoing ships became larger, Nyhavn was absorbed by Danish inland cargo transportation of small ships. After World War II, land transport took over and small vessel traffic disappeared from the port of Copenhagen, leaving Nyhavn largely empty.
In the mid 1960s, the Nyhavn Society (Danish: Nyhavnsforeningen) was founded to revive the area. In 1977, Lord Mayor of Copenhagen Egon Weidekamp opened Nyhavn as a veteran ship and museum harbor. In 1980, the quay of Nyhavn became pedestrian; in previous years, it was used as a parking lot, which coincided with a decrease in activity in the harbor. Since then, it has become a popular place for both tourists and locals, according to the architects Jan Gel and Lars Gemze, acting as a square.
The northern side of Nyhavn is framed by brightly colored townhouses built of wood, brick and plaster. The oldest house, house number 9, dates back to 1681.
From 1845 to 1864, Hans Christian Andersen lived in house number 67, where now stands a memorial plaque. From 1871 to 1875 Andersen lived at Nyhavn 18, which is now a gift store in the style of Andersen.
On the southern side of Nyhavn along the canal are luxurious mansions, including the Charlottenborg Palace on the corner of Kongens Nytorv.
Great Memorial Anchor at the end of Nyhavn, where he meets Kongens Nytorv, is a monument to more than 1700 Danish officers and sailors in the service of the Navy, merchant navy or allied forces who sacrificed their lives during World War II . The Anchor was opened in 1951, replacing a temporary wooden cross, installed in place in 1945, and has a plaque with a monogram of King Frederick VII. The memorial anchor is dated 1872 and was used in the frigate Fun (Fun), which was docked to the naval base Holmen.during the Second World War. Every year on May 5, the day of liberation of Denmark in 1945, an official ceremony of commemoration and commemoration of the fallen at the Memorial Anchor is held.
Along its northern, sunnier side, Nyhavn is surrounded by many bars and restaurants overlooking the harbor. Nyhavn serves as a center for canal tours, but it can be chilly.