Copenhagen City Hall ( Danish : Københavns Rådhus ) is the headquarters - apartment municipal council , as well as the mayor lord of the municipality of Copenhagen , Denmark . The building is located on City Hall Square in the center of Copenhagen .
The current building was opened in 1905. It was designed by the architect Martin Nirop in the national romantic style, but inspired by the City Hall of Siena. It is notable for its richly decorated facade, gilded statue of Absalon right above the balcony and tall, thin tower with clock. The last 105.6 meters high is one of the tallest buildings in the generally small city of Copenhagen.
In addition to the tower clock in the City Hall are the World Clock of Jens Olsen .
The current City Hall was designed by architect Martin Nyrup, and the design of the building was inspired by the City Hall of Siena, Italy. Construction began in 1892, and the hall was opened on September 12, 1905.
Before the mayor's office moved to his current location, he was in Gammeltorv / Nytorv . The first town hall was used from about 1479 until it burned down in a large fire in Copenhagen in 1728.
The second town hall was built in 1728 according to the project of J.K. Ernst and J.K. Krieger . It burned in a fire in Copenhagen in 1795.
In 1815, a new town hall was erected on Nyutorva, designed by KF Hansen. It was intended to house both the City Hall and the Court. Today it is still used as a court building in Copenhagen.
In 2007, the National Bank of Denmark issued a commemorative coin with the image of the tower face value of 20 Danish crowns .