Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek commonly known simply as glyptotek, is an art museum in Copenhagen, Denmark. The collection is based on the personal collection of Carl Jacobsen (1842-1914), son of the founder of Carlsberg Brewery.
Primarily a museum sculpture, as stated in the title, the coordinating center of the museum is an ancient sculpture of ancient cultures throughout the Mediterranean , including Egypt, Rome and Greece, as well as more modern sculptures, such as the collection of Auguste Rodin "with works considered most important outside of France . However, the museum is also known for its collection of paintings, which includes an extensive collection of French Impressionists and Postimpressionists, as well as Danish Golden Age paintings.
The French collection includes works by artists such as Jacques Louis David, Monet, Pissarro, Renoir, Degas and Cézanne, as well as works by post-impressionists such as Van Gogh, Toulouse-Lautrec and Bonnard. The museum's collection includes all bronze sculptures of the Degas, including a series of dancers. Numerous works by the Norwegian-Danish sculptor Stephan Siding are prominent in various sections of the museum.
Carl Jacobsen was a devoted art collector. He was especially interested in ancient art, but over the years he also acquired a significant collection of French and Danish sculptures. When his private villa was enlarged in 1882 with a winter garden, sculptures soon exceeded the number of plants in it. In the same year, the collection was opened to the public. In subsequent years, the museum expanded several times to meet the need for more space for its ever-growing collections. In 1885, his "house-museum" grew to 19 galleries, the first 14 of which were designed by Wilhelm Dahlerup and Huck Kampmann built the last four as well as renovated the winter garden.
Despite the numerous annexes, it finally became clear that the existing premises were not suitable and that a new building was needed. On March 8, 1888, Carl Jacobsen donated his collection to the Danish state and the city of Copenhagen on the condition that they provided a suitable building for its exhibition. Copenhagen's old fortifications were recently abandoned and a place on the ravelin outside the Holkes Bastion in the West Wall of the city, south of the Tivoli Gardens founded in 1843, was chosen. Jacobsen was dissatisfied with the location, which in his opinion was too far from the city center, and he also had doubts about the proximity of Tivoli, which he considered ordinary. Instead, he wanted to build a building on the new city hall square under construction, but eventually agreed.
It was Carl Jacobsen, who chose the name for the museum, inspired by Ludwig I "s Glyptothek in Munich, and Wilhelm Dalerap as the architect for the task. The moat was filled around RADAN and the new museum opened first on May 1, 1897. First included only a modern collection of Jacobsen with the French and Danish works since the 18th century.
In January 1899, Carl Jacobsen gave the museum his collection of ancient art, which required its expansion. It was designed by Huck Kampmann, while Dachlerup designed the winter garden, which connected the new wing to the old building. It was opened in 1906.
In 1996, the museum was expanded again, this time with the filling of one of his yards designed by Henning Larsen. In 2006, the building was a major reconstruction under the direction of Danish architects Dissing + Weitling and Bonde Ljungar Arkitekter MAA.
A building often stands out for its elegance and the synthesis it creates with works of art.
Dahlerup wing, the oldest part of the museum, is a generous historicism of the building. The facade is red brick with polished granite columns in the Venetian Renaissance style. It preserves French and Danish collections.
Kampmann Wing is a simpler, neoclassical building, built as a series of galleries around the central hall used for lectures, small concerts, symposia and poetry readings.
The two wings are connected by the Winter Garden with mosaic floors, tall palm trees, a fountain and are topped by a copper and wrought iron dome.
Henning Larsen Wing is a minimalistic backfill built in the former courtyard and gaining access to the roof. Glyptotek sometimes hosts official meetings and banquets, such as the Polio Free Europe certification, June 21, 2002.
The antique collection includes sculptures and other antique objects of ancient cultures of the Mediterranean.
The extensive Greek, Roman and Etruscan collection includes marble statues, small terracotta statues, reliefs, ceramics and other artifacts. The Etruscan collection is the largest outside Italy. The broker Teidoit Jacobsen in Rome within 25 years has purchased more than 950 sculptures and Etruscan antiquities for the New Carlsberg Museum.
Includes more than 1900 pieces, starting from 3000 BC. 1 - century and representing as Ancient Egypt, in the Celestial and Roman period . It was founded in 1882, when Karl Jacobsen made his first acquisition in Egypt - a sarcophagus, acquired in the Egyptian Museum in Cairo . Many items in the collection were added when the New Carlsberg Foundation sponsored excavations in Egypt in the early 20th century under the direction of the English Egyptologist VM Petrie . The funds have several mummies exhibited in the crypt.
Middle East Collection covers the period 7150, the oldest artifact is from 6500 BC. and the youngest of 650 CE, showing cultures such as Levant, Mesopotamia, Anatolia and Persia.
The main focus of the French collection is on French painting and sculpture of the XIX century. The collection of paintings includes works by artists such as David and Manet, as well as a large collection of impressionist artists such as Monet, Cézanne and Bonnard. The only artist represented by most of the paintings is Paul Gauguin with more than 40 works. The museum also houses a large collection of 19th century French sculpture by artists such as Carpo and Rodin, the Rodin Collection is one of the largest in the world, as well as a complete collection of Degas bronze sculptures.
The Danish collection contains a large collection of Danish Golden Age paintings by artists such as Eckersberg, Købke and Lundbye. It also contains the country's largest performance of Danish Golden Age sculpture.
The European collection includes works from the 18th to the 20th century. Sculptors on view include neoclassics such as Canova, Sergel, Carstens, Fluxman, Rauch and Bailey, as well as modernists such as Menier, Klinger, Picasso and Giacometti.
The collection also includes a small collection of contemporary paintings by artists such as Arp, Ernst, Miró, Polakoff and Gilioli.
The hall is mainly used for classical music concerts, including a series of concerts by Helge Jacobsen . The concerts of Helge Jacobsen included Austrian Hagen Quartet, Russian violinist Alina Ibragimova, French pianist Cédric Tibergjan, Russian baritone Sergey Leiferkus, French Isai Quartet and German tenor Jonas Kaufmann.
Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek as a whole has good acoustics both in the auditorium and the long halls surrounding it. The audience was used as a rehearsal room for the vocal ensemble of ancient music Musica Ficta, often during museum opening hours, sometimes adding music to the museum, and regularly gave concerts both in the auditorium and the surrounding halls. Pioneer overtone performer David Hicks joined Ny Carlsberg Glyptotek in 1997.
Sometimes the audience is also used for other musical genres, such as Danish klezmer band Mames Babegenush.