Amager Square, today part of the Stroghet pedestrian zone , often described as the most central square in the center of Copenhagen , Denmark . Second after Gammeltorv, it is also one of the oldest, got its name from the Amager farmers, who in the Middle Ages came to the city to sell their products on this site.
Now the square is a central hub in downtown Copenhagen, dominated by its Stork Fountain and a number of buildings, the oldest of which dates back to 1616 in opposite directions, Strøget passes in the direction of Kongens Nytorv and Town Hall Square , The two largest squares in Copenhagen, north-west of Købmagergade leads to Nørreport, a busy railway station in Denmark, and south-east of Højbro Plads connects to Slotsholm via the Højbro bridge and from there to Christianshavn and Amager on the other side of the harbor.
The paving stone was built in 1993 and was designed by Bjorn Norgaard. It is a pattern of pentagonal granite stones of five colors.
Amagertorv goes back to the Middle Ages, when Copenhagen was a small fishing village called Havn, the place was the main corridor between the village and the beach. In 1449 it is mentioned as the Fishermen's Market, and in 1472 the name Amagertorv first appeared. The name comes from the farmers Amager, who came to the city to sell their goods.
In the 16-17 centuries, the square became a venue for festivals and knightly tournaments. At the same time, Amagertorv continued to be the city's main market, and from July 28, 1684 all sales of fresh products were to take place in the square. From 1656 the main hotel of the city was also located on the square.
Several buildings in the square survived the Copenhagen fire of 1795. Adjacent to the house Hoibro Plaza was built after the fire.
In 1868, the market activities were moved to Kristianskhavn. In 1894 the fountain "Stork" was built. It was a gift to Crown Prince Frederick (later Frederick VIII) and Crown Princess Louise in connection with their silver wedding. In 1962, the square was closed to traffic with the creation of the Stroget pedestrian zone.
The Church of the Holy Spirit, located on the western side of the square, is the oldest church in Copenhagen.
The house of Matthias Hansen (No. 6) was built in 1616 for Matthias Hansen, from 1622 the mayor of Copenhagen. Typical of the Dutch Renaissance style, the house is built of red brick with sandstone decorations, has a Dutch gable and a copper roof. Copper gutters are decorated with the heads of dragons. The building was restored in 1898 by Professor Hans Jorgen Holm. The gate is surrounded by two cannon barrels, which protect the gate from being hit by carts.
Building No. 9 was built in 1798-1800: for canvas dealer J. Jen. A. Behman. The original facade of the store at street level was changed in 1830 and 1870. Tobacco company W. Ø. In the Larsen building is a small tube museum.
House Ole Haslund (№ 14) - a sample of historicism in the late XIX century. The current design dates back to 1867. The windows are decorated with impostas, made in the form of small figures of Hermes with ionic capitals.
Klostergården at number 29 is a former monastery . The building 1798-00, it replaced the house designed by Kaspar Frederick Harsdorff, which was destroyed during the Great Fire of 1795. The monastery was founded in 1759.
Løve Apotek (No. 33), the first pharmacy in Copenhagen, was located there from 1620 to 1969. The current building was built for the pharmacy in 1907-1908, designed by Victor Neböll and H. Brandstrup. He replaced the CF Harsdorff building.