University of Copenhagen Museum of Geology is the Museum of Geology on Oster Voldgade , in the north - east corner of the University of Copenhagen Botanical Garden , in Copenhagen, Denmark . Like the Botanical Garden, the museum is part of a wider range of centers owned by the Danish Museum of Natural History . The museum houses exhibits and conducts research and studies at the University of Copenhagen, with some museum staff actively involved in research around the world, for example, in Greenland
The Geological Museum was opened in 1772 as the "Universitetets Nye Naturaltheater" (New University Natural Theater) and contains samples that were kept in museum collections for over 300 years. Originally it was located in Norregad, but in 1893 the museum moved to its current building, which was recently built to house the museum. From 1810 to 1976 the museum was called Mineralogical Museum.
Collections in the Geological Museum were created over the centuries and include large collections of minerals, fossils, petrology and meteorites.
The Geological Museum has both changing exhibitions and permanent exhibitions, such as the Minerals Exhibition, where minerals are presented in crystallochemical order, ranging from elements such as gold and silver to silicates such as feldspar and zeolites.
The Agpalik meteorite, part of the Cape York meteorite weighing about 20 tons, can be seen in the courtyard of the museum. Also on display is a small stone from the Taurus-Littrow Moon region, brought by Apollo 17 astronauts in 1972.