Strøget (literally "Alley") is the colloquial name of a popular street with stores and cafes in Copenhagen's Old Town, Denmark, which connects Højbro Plads on Strøget on its eastern end with Regnbuepladsen near the City Hall in the west. The official street names are Læderstrde, Kompagnistrde (before Gåsestrde) and Farvergade . The stores on the street are usually smaller and more eclectic than the flagship stores on the neighboring Stroghet. Art galleries and antique stores prevail here. It is known for its rich gay culture with LGBT citizens, stores, bars, restaurants and coffee stores.
Originally, Læderstrde continued its way to Tådhusstrde, where it became Farvergade. The first part of the name Læderstræde refers not to the "leather", as can be assumed from the modern name, but to Ladbro, a pier that spoke from the first harbor in Copenhagen on Gammel Strand . The name was first recorded in 1397 as Laadbrostrede. Later this name is found in the forms Lathbrostrede (1416), Lædherstrdet (1423), Lædrstredhet (1461) and Lederstredet (1475). Det Danske Compagni, later the Royal Rifle Society of Copenhagen., was in building 16 from around 1447. The Royal Rifle Association moved to a new place behind the gates of the Western City in the 1750s. In 1764, a new synagogue was opened in the street.
Lederströde was home to many Jewish immigrants from the early 17th century. Copenhagen's opened in Lderstræde in 1729. The building was converted into an inn by restaurateur Christian Berg in 1742 and was later known as Bergs Hus. A small temporary theater opened in the former synagogue assembly hall on April 16, 1848. It was the first of its kind after the theater was again legalized after the death of King Christian VI of Petitists. This later led to the creation of the Royal Danish Theater on Kongens Nytorv. In 1765 was built the first synagogue in Denmark, now number 16.
Farvergad (literally "Dyer Street") received its name after Farvergorden, the royal textile dyeing factory, which since 1560 was located in the courtyard near the street. Later, Farverhorden was used as a prison before it was replaced by the Vartorv institution in 1665. The old buildings were demolished in 1720s. The street was notorious for prostitution until it was banned in 1884.
Most of Læderstrde was completely destroyed in the Copenhagen fire of 1795, but within the next few years it was restored. A large synagogue was later rebuilt at a new site in Krystalgade . In 1884, the last part of Læderstrde and the first part of Farvergade were renamed into Kompagnistrde in memory of Det Danske Compagnie.
Stredet is especially known for its rich gay culture with many LGBT residents, stores, bars, restaurants and coffee stores. In this area, as in most parts of the city, you can kiss and walk with your partner in public without looking at him.