A treasure trove of 1,108 silver croupes from the reigns of Edward IV, Henry VI, Richard III and Henry VII, and double cartridges of Charles the Bold, deposited circa 1505 from Hartford, Huntingdonshire. Discovered in 1964 and now in the British Museum.
A map of Hartford Road, now Main Street, and Church Lane shows the main roads in Hartford in 1926. The Hartford Bypass Road, now known as Longstaff Way, was not built until 1964. Two Huntingdon City Council employees were digging a new road when they discovered a treasure trove of more than eleven hundred fifteenth-century silver coins. An investigation was conducted and it was discovered that the coins were a treasure trove. The coins included grit, half grit, penny, half penny, and French coins from the reigns of Henry VI, Edward IV, Richard III, and Henry VII. The coins of Richard III were of particular interest because they were few in number, as he reigned for only 2 years.
The latest date of collection is 1503. The collection was in two clay pots. The pots were placed in a hole one above the other, with a wide neck at the bottom. The pots were reconstructed, and it appeared that the bottom pot was covered in leather, which was crushed by the pot on top.