Middle Ages, 15th century.
Found buried in a garden in Kingsworthy, Hampshire, in 1913.
This heavy monastic mortar weighing 48.5 kilograms (107 pounds) was recorded as belonging to Hyde Abbey Infirmary at the time of its discovery because it was found on land once owned by the Abbey. It was used to prepare herbs and other ingredients for medicines. The exact location of the Abbey Infirmary is currently unknown.