The Iron Age Farm in Ullandhaug is a reconstructed farm from the time of migration, ca. 1. 350 - 550 AD. The farm is located in the upper part of Ullandhaug, about 3 kilometres from the centre of Stavanger, with magnificent views of North Jären and Hafrs Fjord. During the migration period, there was a farm there and the conservative Thor Hellisen in the Stavanger Museum explored and mapped a section of the Iron Age back in 1900.The reconstructed farm was built on the site of an original farm. The new facility consists of three furnished houses. The "Iron Age" Foundation is professionally and administratively subordinate to the Archaeological Museum in Stavanger.
The original farm burned down and was abandoned around the middle of the 5th century AD. It lay in the desert for over 1400 years until it was inspected by Bjorn Mir in 1967 and 1968. Even before the excavations began, it was decided that the site should be restored on the basis of archaeological finds. The reconstructed factory was completed in 1975. Since then, efforts have been made to find out how the farm works when it was inhabited.
In Flat Yeren, almost 200 desert farms have been registered since migration. If we count on central farms where ancient monuments have disappeared, we will get more than 400 farms from this period. Most of them were similar to an Iron Age farm in Ullandhaug. All houses were on the ground floor, but otherwise were built of wood with stone exterior walls to protect against moisture and wind. On the roof, it was probably peat. The roof carried two rows of poles that stood inside the houses. Two and two posts were connected by a crossbar to form a gate. The polished houses have been used in Rugalanne until today. One of the houses has an annex, which could be a tool shed or a tree. This is very similar to the extensions we find in Jærhusene recently.