Brydebygg has a long history and is the first building built on a permanent basis on Viccourdour, while at the same time it is the oldest wooden house in the south of the country outside the house in Eyrarbakki. The history of the house began in 1829 when a Knudzon food vendor was provided with a dosed-out retail area in the Westman Islands and was allowed to start commercial operations there.
The Knudzon PK got what it needed very well. Thomsen, a merchant in Hafnarfjordur, in connection with trading operations on the islands, and in 1830 and 1831 he built an apartment house for the store manager, a large shopping and warehouse complex, another small warehouse and a fish house. They named their shop in the Westminster Islands, which they called Godhaab, and that name also stuck to a residential building.
On 11 August 1831, the magistrate commissioned a survey and evaluation of the site and the houses of the new Godthaab shop. In his assessment, he said that the largest building was considered to be built of good wood and valued at $2,800. It is said that the house has a length of 30 cubits and width of 15, a two-way south and a department store at the east end.
Petur Bryde bought the Godhaabhandel property in the Westman Islands in 1894, but never started trading there. Instead, he had to rent the old shop from 1831 and move to Vicourt in Mirdalour. There, a house was erected from her forest, usually called Brydebygg.
The Bryde Stores shopping centre is together with the railway used for freight transport. Photographer: Olafur Jonsson.
Old photos from the islands show that there was no significant change in the appearance of the house during transport. However, the branch that now looks at the house was only built shortly afterwards, after 1914. In the same year, Bryde House sold the new owners. However, according to a survey of type 183, the house is a little longer than it was originally, or about 42 cubits (26.54 meters) instead of 30 cubits. the house was still standing on the islands.
At the general meeting held in Vic on June 16, 1915, was, among other things, parliamentary cancellation on September 21. Torsteinsteinsson then acquired the assets of JPT Bryde in Vicke, and together with Jon his son managed the Thorsteinsson & Co shop until 1926, when Kaupfélag Skaftfellinga took over the assets. The sale of the property was dated May 15, 1926.
The mall worked in Bridebügg until 1975, when a new shopping centre was moved east of the village. Various changes were made in Brydebygg, while the house was owned by Kaupfélag Skaftfellinga. When the company bought Brydebygg, it was already 30 years since the house was built in Vika. Little has changed, except that in 1915 a large twig was installed in the house and a special apartment was furnished. Shortly after the house was purchased, the main changes were made to the interior of the house. The offices that were in the north were then moved to the south, where the warehouse used to be, but it was moved to the old office space.
Since the offices were installed in this way, coal-fired central heating was also installed in the house, but for some time before 1950 oil became a source of heat from coal.
As before, offices and warehouses were located around the middle of the house, a shopping department in the East End, and a seven-bedroom apartment on two floors in the West End. The description of the SÍS premises, signed on March 7, 1936, states that the commercial premises have electrical lighting, central heating, plumbing and electricity used for welding. The interior of the shop is considered old-fashioned and in need of repair. It is said that the size of the house is 26.5 x 8.75 meters and it corresponds to the modern size.
During 1948 and 1949, significant changes were made to all interior items in Braideberg. The retail store was expanded with office space, offices moved to the ground floor of a business manager's apartment. The branch building and the west porch were rebuilt and an apartment for the business manager was fitted out there. These projects were completed in May 1949 and were also a cast-iron fireplace for purchasing books and valuable company documents. One of the stories that disappeared from the history of this great interior change was the slider that was used to move sugar and coffee beans from the ceiling to the drawers inside the counter changing the "old kitchen and dormitory".
The Scafffellings Trade Association ceased operations in Bridebig in 1981. The premises were then rented out to the Kettle prison service, which operated the house until 1986, when the operation went bankrupt. A quality department was then established and the business continued in the same format in the house until 1992 when the company went bankrupt. Vikur Knitting took over the management of the sewing workshop and managed operations in Bridebegg until 1995.
In 1996 Mýrdalshreppur bought a house from Búnadarbanki landsslands, which bought the house for forced sale. The local government then gave the house to a newly formed member, the Brydebygg Cultural Society, which aimed to restore the house to its almost original form. The restoration of the building was successful with the financial support of individuals, businesses and government authorities. As stated earlier, the house was owned by Kötlusetur ses in 2010.
Since the beginning of June 2000, the house has been available to the public with exhibitions such as life and nature in Mirdal, the south coast beach and the life of the church artist Sigrun Jonsdottir. The Halldórskaffi coffee house was opened in 2000 and was named after the entrepreneur Halldór Jónsson in South Vic.
The house has a total area of 568 m2 with halls and dining room on the ground floor, but the apartment and a small hall on the top floor. It is planned that Brydebygg will continue to be a cultural and artistic center in Mýrdalur. In the foreseeable future there will also be a significant part of Kötlusetur activities. The intention is to simplify the exhibition at home and to focus more on Mt Kettle. This exhibition sheds light on the magnificent natural heritage of Mürdalur with Kötlusetur in the centre, but at the same time weaves an excerpt from the history of Mürdalur into it.