Stykkisholmskirkja was consecrated on May 6, 1990 and stands high and widely visible. The church is concrete, with a church and a tower, accommodating 300 people. The church is one of the attractions of Stykkishólmur and two other churches in Stykkishólmur belonging to the community of Stykkishólmur. The old church in Stykkishólmur stands on Aðalgata 5 and was built in 1879 and served the citizens for over 100 years.
Stykkishólmskirkja was designed by architect John Haraldson. The altar by the artist Christina Gunnlaugsdottir, but she shows Mary with the baby Jesus. The church seems to have a very good acoustic and musical life. Klais' new 22-voiced organ was dedicated in 2012.