Kornhólsskans, better known as Skansinn, has been popular for centuries on the Westman Islands, whether in summer or winter. Views and beauty were unique for a long time, but in winter it was often devastating to see Skans in the winter sea. People often went out to Skansin when the boats were wireless, and relatives waited between hope and fear to see their father's or husband's boat skeleton appear in front of the Nose Rift and linger in Viking.
The sea tank was built in 1931 to provide clean water for fish processing plants.
Origin of the name
The word "scans" comes from Danish and means "fortress", but the name "Kornhólsskans" comes from standing near Kornhölsskans, where there was a mill. The hall is also known as Myllaholl in some sources. There were houses bearing these three names, but they all went under lava.
Skansinn in Westmannnaeuweyar was built in 1586 to protect the Danish royal trade from the suffering of British freight forwarders and traders. The King of Denmark sent his naval commanders, with the attendant burden, to build the Scans. The British naval base shrank in the 17th century, but the Westman Islands still had to defend themselves against pirates. Following the Turkish invasion in 1627, it underwent significant improvements and the Danish military was tasked with overseeing the defence from there. The Vestmannaeyja Army was established in the mid-19th century and military exercises were conducted in Skansinn. During World War II, Skans was a British Army base on the islands.
The scaffold was erected
Scans are the structures on the Westman Islands that have the longest history. An indicator of this remarkable protection was originally installed in 1586. In Dana it was considered necessary to protect the royal trade from the suffering of English shipowners and traders, who often did not observe either fishing restrictions or trade bans. Therefore, the King of Denmark sent here one of the naval commanders, Hans Holst, with equipment, manpower and ammunition to build the Scans. The islanders were obliged to work after the royal invitation, without payment, but were given free meals while working. Four people still firmly refused to work and were fined.
The work was probably made of stone or wood and was located in the same place as the current Skansin. By 1600, English attendance had dropped, so the fort was not preserved. At the time, however, there was more cause for concern: the pirates were fighting across the Atlantic, and any protection had to be provided. Soon after the turn of the century, the fort was rebuilt. Construction was still in its early stages in 1627, when the Turkish invasion took place, and it was discovered that the Westman Islands needed protection. The government accelerated the work, and several years after the attack, significant improvements were made in Skans.
Protection from scanning after the Turkish invasion.
The Danish military coach was hired to oversee the defense of Skans after the Turkish invasion. His job was to organize the clock in Helgafell and monitor the ships. He also had to create and train local forces. Exercises were held once a week, and all men with weapons were required to participate. In 1639 Jon Olafsson accepted the Indian gun as a machine gunner with the Scans and his successor, and the last machine gunner from the Scans was Gunnar Olafsson.
The Vestmannaeyja campaign was founded in the middle of the 19th century by Sheriff Andreas August von Kohl, who was captain of the Danish army. The captain, who was a great enthusiast of military training, organized the army for both adults and boys, and great ambitions were laid down in exercises and weapons. The army's activities were mainly aimed at strengthening the sense of security of the islanders, who feared pirate attacks after the Turkish invasion. The cannons that had been used since 1586 were returned and the exercises began. After the death of the captain concerned, the army soon disintegrated, despite the efforts of the successors. The equipment was stopped again from 1870 to 1880, but Skansinn was for a long time the main flag and flagpole of sailors, and from there they controlled the ships' voyages.
The cannon in World War II
During World War II, a British base and cannon station were built in Skansinna.
Landlyst has the oldest houses on the islands, now it has been rebuilt and installed in the Skans area. Landlyst was built in 1847 and was the first birthplace in Iceland, built in 1849.
On the occasion of the 1000th anniversary of Christianity in Iceland, the Norwegian nation presented the Icelandic church with a regular church, and the place was chosen on Heim. Christian history says that Hyalti Skegjason and Gissur White brought material to the church on the island and built a church here.
The work began in the park in 1914 and was not completed until about 1930, but due to the emergence of the ocean, the park needed a lot of maintenance. The lighthouse has been in the park since about 1920.
The appearance of the Skans changed significantly in 1973 after the Heimaey eruption. More than two square kilometres of lava were added during the eruption, so it was impossible to enjoy the same view as before. The ring yard was in the middle of the sea for the eruption, but is now inside the seal. The cooling of the lava prevented the lava from moving around the garden, and this would have caused even more damage if the lava had moved around the garden. But the lava settled near the garden and formed an area that is now called the Scans.