Tantholunden is a park and colonial garden in the Tanto district of Cedermalma in Stockholm. The area is bounded by railway in the south, Ringwegen in the east, Drakenberg in the north and Arstaviken in the southwest. Tantolunden is one of the largest park areas in central Stockholm.
Tantolunden is one of the parks created under Stockholm's first city gardener, Alfred Medina. In 1885, funds were allocated to start work in mountainous areas west of Ringwegen. The area was named Tantolunden, after a large Tanto property that was found here.
The Medina Plan for Tantolunden is a spiral system of walkways and footpaths that lead in circles to the highest point of the park, which was designed to be circular with benches. The design was typical of the time and romance was used as the main idea. People would hone their imagination under the green trees.
At its height was an old garbage dump, which was expanded and restored and covered with flesh and food soil. In 1896, the first trees were planted. The use of garbage as a filler soon proved to be less thoughtful, as the soil dried out quickly in summer. By switching to more food soil, the hope was to solve the problem. Construction work continued until 1899, when it was believed that the park was finished. In 1906, a playground was set up in the western part of the park.
On the slope to Arstaviken there was once a popular open-air theatre: the Tantolundens open-air theatre. Until 1961 the theatre played here, including the Cederkakar. In the centre of the park there is a plan for the Tantolundens Ball, and in the eastern part of the park there is a small music pavilion with several benches in front. The pavilion was built and donated to the city of Stockholm in 1988 by the environmental and cultural association "People of Tanto". In connection with the film project "Another Sign" in 2009 it was named Narvapaviljongen and a newly created historical background.
The Eckermann Mining Farm is the farthest to the east, next to the railway line. Earlier Tantogarden was previously burned in 2009. The highest elevation in the Tantu area consists of rocky outcrops and some older combat forces.
The southwest slope up to Arstaviken was built in the 1920s with colonial cottages that are now called Northern Tantolunden, Southern Tantolunden and Little Tanto. In order to reduce food shortages during the First World War emergency, the city of Stockholm advised the district of Tanto to individual producers. Many of them worked in the sugar industry next door. The location on the southern slope more towards Årstaviken promised good growing results. However, the steep terrain required retaining walls and terrace construction.
Two of Skansen's colonial gardens were relocated in 1997 from Sodra Tantholunden to Skansen. They represent the 1920's and 1940's respectively. Both were donated by the Tantolunden Colonial Gardens Association to the museum and both are generally decorated.
The Tantolunden Air Defense Position was located about 300 meters west of Tantolunden Park and directly above the Tantolunden Colonial Garden area. The object consisted of firearms and game protection and could have been staffed by 47 men during the emergency years 1939-1945. The main objective of the Tantolunden air defense position was to protect Arstabron and Liljeholmsbron. Today (2011) there are four clear playing spaces, while the rest have been torn down or sealed (i.e. permanently sealed).