Kronhuset, Nordstaden, originally Giötheborgz Tyghuhs, is a large, red brick building in western Nordstaden in Gothenburg. The house was built between 1643 and 1654 on a Dutch hillside Perhaps the original drawings were made by the royal architect Simon de la Valle.
The crown house was first used as a fabric house, i.e. as a garrison cloth warehouse, such as guns and other weapons, and also as a food supply for grain. The oldest cemetery in the city used to be in place of the house.
On 9 December 1927, ownership of the Kronhuset was transferred from the state to the city of Gothenburg for use as a museum. The Kronhuset was a memorial building from October 24, 1968.
Guns and other equipment needed for the city's protection were stored in warehouses on the city fortress bastions. However, the development of the fortresses in the 1640s required more space for equipment. Thanks to the form of government in 1634, the Military College and the Office of the National Archdiocese were established, and thus the Swedish Defence received a stricter administration. In February 1640, the Military College decided to build a Kronhuset, or "house of artillery and grain", and in May 1642 the order to begin construction was completed as soon as the ordered brick from Holland arrived.
At the head of the building were the head of the fortification, the apartment general and the son of the mayor from Lödos, Olof Hansson Svart, who later loved Örnehufvud. By 1643, the building had been built to a height of one floor and the building was later stopped for lack of money. Around 1648, the building was rebuilt from Swedish brick, where the general intendant Johan Varnsheldh took care of the construction. The main work on Kronhuset then continued until the house was completed in 1654.
The Parliament was convened in Gothenburg on 4 January 1660 by Charles X Gustav and the Royal Chamber was allowed to function as a national hall. Part of the ground floor was furnished with benches covered with black cloth as well as walls. King Charles X Gustaf then quickly died in the Palace of Torstensson and on 1 March the four-year-old heir was declared King of Sweden following a decision of Parliament.
The Kronhuset area burned down in 1746 and 1758, when all buildings except Kronhuset were destroyed.
The fabric enclosure was purchased by the city of Gothenburg in 1929 and until 1954 the house served as a storeroom for the crown and the city.
After extensive restoration on 17 May 1957, King Gustav VI Adolf reopened the Rixalen in Kronhuset. The restoration cost 1 million Swedish crowns and was funded by donations.
To commemorate the 300th anniversary of the death of Charles X, the Gothenburg History Museum opened on 12 February 1960 an exhibition in the large national hall in Kronhuset, which lasted 14 days. The exhibition featured modern, richly illustrated leaflets in German and Dutch, which made "reports" about the king and his death. Holland was particularly interested in the king's death, as they strongly opposed his aspirations for Scandinavian unity. The tomb pump in connection with Karl X's was the largest in Sweden to date. Gothenburg's jewellers were tasked with freely producing the crown, sprout, national apple and key. All in gold. You could see a model of the house that Per Brahe Jr. owned and used as his private hospital during the ricksdag when he died. A larger modern image of Gothenburg shows the city with a mill on Kvarnberget, the German church and cathedral, as well as other houses in the city behind the moat quays.
Since 1998, the building has been home to the professional brass band Göteborg Wind Orchestra (formerly GöteborgsMusiken), and the national hall is mainly used as a concert hall.