Malmö Town Hall is a 16th century building that is located in Stortorghet in Malmö.
In the northwestern part of the present-day main square, in the Middle Ages, there was a great monastery of the monastery. The monastery with a church, garden and cemetery occupied a quarter of the current square. Due to the Reformation in Denmark, the mighty mayor Jørgen Kok was able to demolish the monastery and build the current main square on his land. The demolition took place in 1536-38. The main square became one of the largest squares in the Scandinavian region in the 16th century. Malmö was at that time one of the largest cities in the Scandinavian countries, and therefore a new town hall was built along the eastern square.
The town hall in Malmö is mentioned for the first time in 1353, it was only north of St. Petri's Church, between the cemetery and Adelgathan, which was the oldest street square in the city.
On January 28, 1544, the city of Malmö lent Jorgen Brender 300 marks so that he could start burning bricks in the city brick kiln. The city will rent 6000 bricks and 20 lots of lime per year for the brick kiln. On March 5, 1548 the lease agreement was terminated. The agreement was to be concluded in connection with the construction of the town hall, the work of which lasted from spring 1544 to autumn 1547.
Today's Dutch Renaissance town hall facade was added in the 1860s and replaced the neoclassical facade from the early 19th century. Architect Helgo Zettervall developed a very free interpretation of how the original facade could (or perhaps should have been) look. The facade is decorated with sculptures depicting some of Malmö's historically important people, such as Jörgen Kotsk, Matthias Flensburg and others.
The Town Hall, which is the largest town hall built in the Northern region in the 16th-16th centuries, is a two-storey building with a basement. The basement is equipped with two parallel so-called thin arches. The basement still retains its 16th century style, while the upper floor in the 19th century was equipped with a very thin vault and magnificent plaster.
In the basement is the basement restaurant of the City Hall. The great Knutssalen on the second floor makes you think of the mirror halls of the French Castle of Versailles, a place for special festivities and bales. On the same floor is also the Bernadotte Lounge, where usually only members of the royal family, ambassadors, etc. have access, and whose walls are decorated with portraits of all the kings of the Bernadotte family. Next to this salon is an extension of the old city district with the so-called Landstingssalen with unique portraits of the Danish regents from the 17th century.
Next to the City Hall there is a modern extension of the City Council Hall for City Council meetings.
Malmö mayor's office and the county courthouse
In 1958-59, the municipality building was supplemented by a modern annex designed by architect Stur Kelfve, with the relief facade of Tours Tourne. Among other things, this building houses the Malmö District Court and in its basement still houses the medieval arches from the former settlement on site. In addition, Malmö City Hall is here for major art exhibitions and other events.