Uppsala Art Museum is a city museum for art , located in the southern wing of Uppsala Castle in Uppsala .
The Uppsala Art Museum has been located in the Uppsala Castle since 1995. The museum has three floors, where you can see old paintings from the art collection of Uppsala University, ceramic art from Uppsala-Ekebi and temporary exhibitions of contemporary art. There is also a museum shop and a small café. The museum's expositions include programme activities with exhibitions, lectures, seminars, lunch programmes and educational seminars.
The Uppsala Art Museum has about 12,000 items. The collection is very diverse and was created through donations and purchases. The fund was a donation from the Upland Art Association, which included a collection of 19th century German, French and English art by Emile Beinoff. It is now part of an extensive collection of graphic art from the 16th century to the present day. You have collections of regional paintings from the Uppland turn of 1800-1900, including Bruno Liljefors and the surrounding circle, as well as Swedish paintings from the 1960s and 1970s. The museum has also recently received several major donations, including the collection of Gusten Wiederbeck (1879-1970), who portrayed Uppsala and the surrounding plain throughout Uppsala. The museum also received a collection of paintings, graphics and collages from Gustav Fengström (1905-1999), which showcases artistic development during almost the entire 1900s. Collections were also received concerning Harald Markson (1909-1985), Ingemar Willgert (1928-1990) and several others.
In 1981, a donation was received from the Uppsala-Ekebi Closed Pot Factory. The collection consists of 1600 items showing the artistic design of the factory. All the most famous designers are represented, for example Ingrid Atterberg, Hjordis Oldfors, Marie Simmulson, Anna-Lisa Thomson and Vicke Lindstrand. The collection also includes examples of tile kiln and tile production up to the closure of 1978.
The Art Research Collection consists mainly of large donations to universities from the 1830s onwards. At the time, an art museum was under discussion in Stockholm, which later became the National Museum, and it aroused interest in the opening of an art museum in Uppsala. The university and its artist Johan Wei were driving because they wanted to create a teaching collection of paintings and sculpture for their studies.
When the University Library moved from Gustavianum to Carolina Radiviva, the suitable premises for the museum became vacant and opened in 1848. However, the teaching collection was never a particular priority, so when the premises were needed for other purposes, the art collection was moved. When a university professor of art history was established in 1918, the collection became associated with the Department of Art History. As a result, it accompanied the move to the Consistory House. Since 1997, the Uppsala University Art Collection has been available to the public at the Uppsala Art Museum.
The collection is suspended as it has historically been used to hang art collections in tight rows along the walls of two halls called the Gallery of John III and the Gallery of the Harlemans. The collection consists of European painting from the 13th to mid-19th century consisting of portraits, ancient church art, landscape design, still life, genre painting and historical painting.