Sankt Nicolai Church Ruins is a church building ( ruins ) in Visby in the Visby Diocese. The church was several different stages of construction and the first church on site was built around 1215-1220 and was named after the patron saint, St. Nicholas.
The church was probably built as a parish church for the Germans in the northern parish of the town, but as a result of a fire the work was destroyed / destroyed and instead the present cathedral was opened as a parish church (around 1240 replaced St. Olof as the German parish church in the northern parish). 122 (8), the damaged church was taken over by the Dominican brothers, who turned it into an ordinary church. The present western end was built in the middle of the 13th century (dendrodate 1251). At the end of the 13th century Petrus de Dacia was a previous member of the Convention, and a memorial plaque was erected on the north side of the church. The church received its present extension, from a Gothic cow around 1400, which seems to have been largely funded by Guta's advisor Jacob Knarre, who received a plaque surrounded by a wall on a pole close to the cows. Several different stages of construction can be traced back to the facade of the church, where Romanesque window openings still exist.
The convent and the church were burned down by the defenders of the town when the Lakers attacked Visby in 1525 and the building was never rebuilt. The church was underserved and in 1795 Mayor Petr Herman Grevesmühl granted permission to take building materials from the church. It is likely that at this time most of the sculptural decoration of the building disappeared. Archaeological excavations have been carried out in the church since the second half of the 19th century, and repairs have been made. Both the tablet depicting Jacob Knarre and the now lost epitaph of the late Gotland councilman Magnus Grote, as well as several references in German, indicate that St. Nicholas valued the Goths more than the Germans in the city.
The buildings of the monastery were located to the north of the church, where they were located directly south of the Chapel of St. Nicholas and the Order of the Swordsmen (Ordine Fratres Militie Christi). No visible remains of these buildings remain above ground, and today there is a park. On the northern facade of the church there are traces of buildings that joined the church, including an intersection that runs along most of the northern facade and a two-storey building in the north-eastern part of the facade. Inside the north wall, there are narrow stairs.
Today, the ruins are often used as concert halls and benches, while a stage in the west is built in the ruins.
In honour of Petrus de Dacia, a ruin play and opera by composer Friedrich Möhler was created every summer for more than sixty years.