The Church of the Holy Spirit, Visby.
The Holy Spirit, usually the Church of the Holy Spirit, is a church building (ruins) in Visby in the Diocese of Visby. The church was built in the early 13th century.
The personality of the church was hotly contested. Some wanted to identify it with the chapel for a Danish grasshopper, which was to be built with the support of the Danish King Waldemar (hence the resemblance to the chapel of the Danish King in Store Heddinge). It should be noted, however, that such a chapel is undocumented.
Instead, others call the Church of the Holy Spirit the Church of St. James, first mentioned in 1226 and then owned by the German Bishop Albert in Riga. Rigabišop used its patronage until the 1270s, after which he entrusted St. James to the pastor of the Church of the Holy Trinity. The church should be handed over to the nuns in the Solberga Monastery at the end of the 1300s or beginning of the 14th century, and only after the Reformation was added to the neighbouring Holy House. This probably happened between 1400 and 1420.
The weekend house was mentioned in Visby back in the 1290s, but the details of this weekend house are very scarce. The work of the hospital / sanctuary next to the ruins of the Church of the Holy Spirit can only be occupied after the Reformation.
There was also a hospital church. The 1736 display shows that it was made of stone with a brick roof and an arch. The hospital church was demolished in 1783, but parts of it remained destroyed in the 19th century, depicted as an etching in 1804 and found on a map of the area in 1807. Today, there are no visible remains in the hospital church.
The church has eight sides and is built on two floors. On two floors there is a common choir. The church dates back to the palace chapel of Emperor Charles den Stor in Aachen, but, as mentioned above, it also recalls the mentioned chapel of the Danish king in the Store Heddinge and the Schwarzrheindorf Episcopal Church outside Bonn. The round and multi-faceted churches became popular during the Crusades, and were often inspired by the Church of the Holy Sepulchre and the Rocky Mosque, which at the time was considered the temple of original Jerusalem.