Museum of sketches - Museum of art process and public art - museum in Lund . It is part of Lund University and is a unique art museum specializing in the artistic process. It houses the world's largest collection of sketches, models and models for Swedish and international public art.
The Sketch Museum was founded in 1934 by Professor Ragnar Josephson at the Faculty of Art History at Lund University under the name "Archive of Decorative Arts". Ragnar Josephson wanted to create an archive for the art process, which would become a central part of the university's research in the field of art. What is now called site-specific and public art, Josephson called "monumental sculpture" and "monumental painting", or decorative art.
The archive will document the work of art from the idea to the finished work. Since public art often requires a lot of feasibility studies, he considered it particularly suitable for an archive. Josephson has long been interested in the creative process. In the autumn of 1933, George Paulie gave a lecture on monumental painting at the Scone Art Museum in Lund, where he said that "now the inventory must be made with our monumental painting before it is too late". Shortly after the call, Paulie Josephson commissioned his students to take an inventory of public art in their home towns during the Christmas holidays. They received ten crowns for each purchase of a public art card. The result was an image archive that filled in several shoe boxes, which formed the basis for what would later become a sketch museum.
The museum's art collection was founded in 1934, when Prince Eugene donated 19 sketches, and was soon followed by a large sketch by George Paulie. Art projects by other Swedish artists such as Einar Forsset and Isaac Grunewald were added and by December 1934 the archive had grown to 500 sketches. It continued to grow by several hundred sketches per month. The works were originally exhibited at the University House. In 1941, the University opened a grammar school in 1892, which belonged to a closed teachers' seminar. This was the first place of the museum and later became the International Hall.
Today, there are about 30,000 sketches and models from different materials and techniques in the museum collections. Around 1000 artists from 30 different countries are represented and new ones are constantly being added. Artists such as Sonia Delaunay, Siri Derkert, Diego Rivera, Jose Clemente Orosco, Henri Matisse, Elli Hamberg, Fernand Léger, Sigrid Yertna, Christo and Jeanne-Claude, Prince Eugene, Ozanfan, Isaac Grunewald, Jean Dubuffet, Henry Moore, Barbro Baxtreuil, Maria Miesenberger and Ann Edholm are represented.
In 1936, two years after the first sketches were received, the museum received a state grant and it was then decided that the collection would not be limited to Sweden, but would cover the entire northern region. Later, they also began collecting sketches and models from countries outside the Nordic region. In the 1960s, most of the French collection was acquired mainly by Gunnar Brahammar, then manager of the museum, in cooperation with Vivek Bosson.