Fredriksdal Museums and Gardens is an open-air museum with an area of 36 hectares in Helsingborg, built around an estate similar to the estate, owned by Fredriksdal. Originally Fredriksdal was built by Fredrik Wilhelm Köster in 1787 as an agricultural land, a kind of summer place. The property was bought by Consul Oscar Trapp in the late 1800s and most of the land, along with the main building and outbuildings, was donated to the city of Helsingborg by his widow Gisela. Tgarrv 1918. The open-air museum was opened to the public in 1923. With its 36 hectares, the museum is one of the largest of its kind in Sweden, with a special emphasis on biological cultural heritage. Today Fredriksdal includes original buildings, historic parks, a garden, old public gardens, historic farms, an old city quarter from the centre of Helsingborg and a botanical garden with scanned plants and biotopes. Also in the area is the Fredriksdal Theatre, which was built in 1923 as a Baroque hedge theatre.
The museum logo consists of a stylized white tree on an olive green background designed by Bodil Tegsell. The logo won the 2006 Swedish Design Award in the category "Brand style - profile".
On 36 hectares of land there are several parks and gardens, all with different purposes and uses. The parks are mainly used to show how humans have viewed nature for centuries, while gardens and cultivated land are used as historic agriculture.
The French park was probably added when the manor was built in 1787. Today the park has a clear Baroque garden, although on a small scale. Typical features are the central central rampart throughout the factory, the parterre - a large lawn in front of the main building, bushes - rooms for hedges with groves of trees and pile leaves and hedges. Today the mood of lövgångarna of hornbeam is the most valuable historical feature of the park.
The French park is oriented towards symmetry and perspective. This is the first part you see when you walk through the main entrance. The nature closest to the mansion opens up through an open grassy area dotted with transplanted lavender rings designed by landscape architect Sven Ingvar Andersson in the 1960s on each side.
The English park was probably built in the mid-19th century on fields that were formerly fields or meadows. Inspired by natural romance, walkways wander through sunlit areas and shady groups of trees. The vegetation consists mainly of southern Swedish species, including chestnut and mulberry. In spring, carpets of white sips and daffodils grow under the trees' bright crowns, while in summer the park's meadows are knocked out and become winter food for Fredriksdal's animals. A small octagonal pergola was transferred to the English park from the Silvana Garden in Helsingborg. The arbor was probably built around 1810.
The historic garden is located south of the mansion and gradually grew from the early 19th century to the 1870s. Today the garden is about 1.5 hectares and is divided into ten blocks for kitchen plants, framed by fruit trees and berries. The design of the garden is a remnant of the Renaissance gardens of Vasa Castle, which lived around small mansions. Today the garden helps to preserve and showcase the wealth of vegetable, berry and fruit varieties that existed in the past. Fredriksdal is a local clone archive for older southern Swedish fruit varieties that will be preserved in the future. There are a total of about 120 different fruit varieties of apples, pears, plums and cherries in the archive. There is also a collection of rhubarb varieties harvested in southern and central Sweden.
In the garden, among others, beetroot, snow-white and agricultural beans are also grown organically using the same methods used for fertilization and pest control as they were 150 years ago. The closest garden to the garden is the Fredriksdal garden, planted among molded, geometrically placed box hedges, which includes, among others, mint, heart pleasure, lip beard and pharmacy.
Fredriksdals Rosarium contains about 400 varieties and kinds of roses. The rosearium consists of two parts: cultural-historical and thematic. In the cultural-historical part, the history of the rose can be continued, starting with Mummy Rose, Rosa x richardii "Sancta", a variety found in an Egyptian tomb from the 100th century AD. No other species can be traced back in time. The cultural and historical part is dominated by old-fashioned, fragrant, disposable flowering roses with a peak of flowering in June-July. In the thematic section, you will find modern roses that usually bloom all summer, grouped into four rooms of color: white, red, pink and yellow. Roses consist of clematis, perennials and annuals.
The garden of Mumsellen
On the north side of the mansion is a small garden called the Mamsellen Garden, which is laid out according to the same ideal as the French park. In the park, parallel to the north wing of the farm, there is a building that used to serve as a riding stables and horseback riding stables for the farmhouse. Café Fredriksdals Garden is in the building. Next to the café there is a smaller half-timbered building, which is part of the original Fredriksdals buildings, as well as an annex built in 1994. As a gift from the museum dedicated to the 90th anniversary of Niels Poppe in 1998, the café was named Poppe Pavilion.