The building of the municipality of Helsingborg, designed by Alfred Hellerstrom, was built in 1897. In 1889, an architectural competition was held to define the design of the new Helsingborg City Hall. Only 26-year-old Alfred Hellerström, who had recently graduated from the Academy of Arts in Stockholm, won the competition. The Municipal Council meets in the building. There is also the administration office of the municipal council. In 1965, a wedding room for civil marriages was also created here. In 1967, the town hall was declared a memorial building.
The four-storey building is built in the Neo-Gothic style and the building is surrounded by four towers facing Stortorghet, more angular to Rodhustorghet, and topped by a 65-meter bell tower. The roof is mainly made of slate with copper elements. Towards the Drottninggatan, the town hall has large pointed arched painted windows, paintings by Gustav Söderström. The building can be accessed from Stortorghet by a large Baroque staircase and from the main entrance to the Drottningatan, where you will be well welcomed by the grand staircase.
Due to the extensive reconstruction of Jarnvegsgatan in autumn 2017, the lantern posts were removed outside the main entrance and the southern facade for restoration. They bear the city coat of arms, which was the official Helsingborg until 1916. The poles were placed in their original places in December 2017, but without lighting - which was not installed until late March / early April 2018. They were modeled on the new lampposts with the older ones. The new Helsingborg City Coat of Arms was placed in the middle of Jarnvegsgatan in autumn 2017 and in the middle of Drottninggatan (starting from spring 2018).
At certain times, music is played daily from the Town Hall Tower. An acoustic system in the tower plays melodies, which are usually programmed, with a sound reminiscent of this from the bell. The music premiered on 21 May 1960 (the day 875 years after the founding of the city) and was managed by Einar Nilsson (1924-1995), the musical director, until 1992.
Outside the town hall are two memorial stones erected by Danes and Norwegians to commemorate the reception of refugees in Helsingborg during the Second World War. The Danish memorial stone reads:
Built in 1945 by Danish refugees who found refuge and friends in Helsingborg.
Through Helsingborg, thousands of Norwegian political prisoners returned home from Nazi concentration camps in the spring of 1945. On this boat, Norway travelled in memory of the great efforts of the Swedish humanitarian expedition.