Örebro Museum is a County Museum for Örebro , located in Örebro . It began its activity in 1856 on the initiative of Gabriel Durklow, who founded the Association of Folk and Ancient Monuments of Nerica, which means it is one of the oldest in Sweden.
The museum itself has its origins in collections, which in 1858 included 28 items. As Hermann Hofberg resigned as chairman of the association in 1873, business ceased. In 1878 it was restored by Carl Stenberg and replaced in 1879 by the Nericke Antiquities Association. In 1881, a permit was issued for a museum of antiquities and art to be housed in the southwest tower of Örebro Castle. On August 29, 1887 the first curator of the museum was the museum of the Örebro County and the merchant Alfred Wikström.
In addition to the museum in Örebro, the department owns a number of heritage buildings in the Örebro district and an archive (Länsarvet) in the Örebro district of Grenadjarstaden.
The museum building, designed by architect Niels Tesch, is located in Svarton and the Örebro Castle and its current design was obtained in 1963. One of the biggest promoters of the building's arrival was the county antique dealer Bertil Walden. The museum building consists of a low central red sandstone building, between the rows of gallery buildings that form the inner courtyard of the atrium. In addition to the exhibition area, the museum has a conference room, a small shop, a cafe and a restaurant. In this building, most of the institute's exhibitions are organized within the framework of the history of local culture and local art, while the collection of fine arts and sculptures is growing.
Outside the museum is a statue of the Bronze Torsa Men (opened in 1950) by Britta Nerman.
In Grenadjärstaden, in the premises formerly part of the regiment ; In 3, lies the Länsarvet, which contains many historical maps, photographs, objects and a library. Länsar Heritage also undertakes research in archaeology and social life.