Örebro Castle is located on an island in Svarton in Örebro , Narka. Originally built as a defensive fortress, it was probably built in the mid 1300s. The builder was probably King Magnus Eriksson. During the reign of Duke Charles, the castle was rebuilt as a Renaissance castle. By that time it had already largely lost its role as a defence agency. Further renovations took place during these years. The last major external change took place at the end of the 19th century and the castle has been empty since 1798, when the castle was built in the historical romantic style. Several important parliamentary days were held in the castle. From 1764 the castle served as the residence of the Governor of Örebro County. The Örebro Castle has been a state monument since 1935.
The main building materials of the castle are natural stone and bricks. It is not known where the natural stone was taken from - selected ground stone and crumb. When the castle was rebuilt into Renaissance castles, bricks were also used. Between 1596 and 1605, 200,000 bricks were filled up in Segers Kingsgard. Most of these bricks were used to extend the castle. Stonework was carried out at Kumla and lime was burned at Hellabrott. Some stones may have been taken from the ruins of the Örebru monastery, which were laid in connection with the Reformation. The floors of the upper floors of the castle are made of wooden beams. The dendrochronology is dated to the pine beams in the north-west tower from 1599.
The style of the building is characterized by different fashion. The example of a Renaissance castle was French Renaissance architecture. According to Eric Lundberg, among other things, it meant "to express the main basic power of God's grace". The classic chateau is characterized by a tightness in appearance, but internally, in the newly created residence, the rococo style prevailed. The dining room, for example, was "with grey oil paint, on wet and painted facades", with a high chest, pine parquet and blue and white tiled stove . With the historic romantic castle, they tried to recreate a Renaissance castle. However, this failed because there was only limited knowledge of what the castle looked like at the time. The weapons were knocked down (the Renaissance castle was glued white), the western towers were raised (due to a misinterpreted source) and a majestic portal was installed above the entrance to the castle. Thus, the present castle is not a rebuilt Renaissance castle, but a product of the late 19th century view of what this castle was thought to have looked like. The 20th century also left its mark on the interior of the castle, partly with early 1900s style details in the National Hall, the Armoury and Engelbrekstrum, and partly with modern style furniture in parts of the castle that were renovated in the 1990s.