The Örebro Town Hall has been located on Stortorghet since 1863 and is the seat of the municipality's political leadership and administration.
The oldest town hall in Örebro was located at the southwest corner of the main square.
In 1662 a new town hall was built in the northwest corner of the Stortorget. By the end of the 18th century it had become too small and was therefore built at an angle to the east. After this extension, the facade of the Stortorget was equipped with a low front stove decorated with the coat of arms of the town of Örebro. In addition, the goddess of justice, reminiscent of a cherub or amorine, was depicted. This group is still on the stairs in today's town hall.
The old town hall was used as a meeting place for the bourgeoisie in the ricksdag in 1810 and the ricksdag in 1812.
Today's Town Hall was built in 1859-63 in Neo-Gothic style. It was designed by the city architect Friedolf Weinblad, who was also a builder.
Originally, the house housed the police guard services, Örebro Sparbank, the Lindhska bookstore and study rooms, a workshop, a library and a technical college museum. In addition, the mayor had his service residence on the third floor, which is now the representation floor where the municipality receives its guests.
The exterior has been preserved, except for the window carpentry, front doors and stairs. The interior has changed several times, for example, the Town Hall was rebuilt around 1900, when, among other things, the Technical School lounge was converted into a session hall, which is still in use today and in which the interior is still preserved. The police had its premises in the Town Hall until 1958.
On New Year's Eve 1999, the Town Hall received its bell. The Vikings, Olaus Petri, Kaisa Varg, the blacksmith, Hjalmar Bergman and a young woman symbolise different parts of the history of Örebro today. The figures were created by the Bulgarian artist Emil Mircev and cast with molten grenades. The melody was written by Ian Inge Hall from Örebru.