The Parliament building is the residence of the Finnish Parliament. It is located in the Finnish capital Helsinki, in the Töölö area.
In 1923 a competition was held to select a place for the new parliament building. Arkadianmäki, a hill near what is now Mannerheimintie, was chosen as the best place.
The architectural competition, which was held in 1924, was won by the company Borg-Siren-Oberg with a proposal called Oratoribus (translated from Latin as "for speakers"). Johan Sigfried Siren (1889-1961), who was mainly responsible for the preparation of the proposal, was commissioned to design the parliament building. The building was constructed in 1926-1931 and officially opened on March 7, 1931. Since then, especially during the Winter War and the War of Continuation, it has been an arena for many key points in the political life of the country.
The Serena designed the Parliament building in a classical architectural style that combines neoclassicism with modernism of the early twentieth century. The combination of the simplified column and baluster of the Serene with the simplified flat geometry is comparable to similar studies by Eric Gunnar Asplund and Josge Shoulder. Appearance of red granite Kalvola . The facade is faced with fourteen columns with Corinthian capitals .
The building has five floors, each of which is unique. The floors are connected by a white marble staircase and the famous lifts Paternoster . The most important for visitors are the main lobby, the majestic plenary chamber and the large reception hall, the so-called State Hall.
Notable later additions to the building are the library annex, completed in 1978, and the separate office block Pikkuparlamentti (Little Parliament), the need for which was the subject of some controversy, completed in 2004.
On the ground floor are the main lobby, reception rooms for the speaker, newspaper room, information service, document office, message centre, copy room, restaurant and several separate rooms. At both ends of the lobby, marble staircases lead to the fifth floor.
The second floor, also known as the main floor, is centered in the Plenary Hall. Its galleries have space for the public, the press and diplomats. This floor also has a reception area (State Hall), a speaker's corridor, a government corridor, a cafeteria, and adjoining rooms.
The third floor includes rooms for the information block and media and provides direct access to the press gallery of the plenary chamber. The Protocol Office and a number of committee rooms are also located here.
The fourth floor is for committees. Its largest rooms are the Great Committee Room and the Finance Committee Room.
The fifth floor contains meeting rooms and rooms for parliamentary groups. Additional offices for parliamentary groups are located on the sixth floor, along with additional rooms for the media.
Tours are available on Saturdays at 11:00 and 12:30 and on Sundays at 12:00 and 13:30; July and August also at 14:00 on weekdays. On Tuesdays and Fridays, you can watch Parliament from the public balcony.