Kaapelitehdas is a famous building in Salmisaari, Helsinki, near the bridge in Lauttasaari. It has been transformed from industrial use into a cultural centre that houses artist workshops, three museums, events and activities.
The building was built between 1939 and 1954. As a cable factory for Suomen Kaapelitehdas Oy (Finnish cable factory), hence the name. Cable production started in 1943 and was stopped in 1987.
Suomen Kaapelitehdas was acquired by Suomen Gummitehdas Oy (Finnish Rubber Works) in 1922, Suomen Gummitehdas was renamed Suomen Kumitehdas in 1959, and the companies Suomen Kumitehdas, Nokia Aktiebolag and Suomen Kaapelitehdas were merged in 1966-1967 to form Oy Nokia Ab ( Nokia Corporation ).
The building was acquired by the city of Helsinki and turned into a cultural centre, where various private and public organizations are based, which can hold events, large and small, concerts, exhibitions, fairs and festivals. There are also artists' studios, and the rent for the studios made the project financially profitable. As of 2005, the turnover was 3.5 million euros.
There are three museums in Kaapelitekhdas - Finnish Museum of Photography, Theatre Museum and Museum of Hotels and Restaurants. There is also space for galleries, dance theatres, ateliers, art schools, rehearsal studios, radio stations and the popular Hima & Sali restaurant.
Kiinteistö Oy Kaapelitalo is responsible for the design, rental and maintenance of the premises. Kiinteistö Oy Kaapelitalo belongs to the city of Helsinki. Since 1 January 2008, the company has also operated an old gas plant in the eastern part of the city centre. Repair and rental of Suvilahti will take years.
Kaapelitehdas is a member of the Trans Europe Halles (TEH) network of independent European cultural centres. The public relations and administration office of TEH was established there in 2003.