Tram Museum is a special museum under the Helsinki City Museum in Taka-Töölö, Helsinki. The museum presents the history of tram traffic in Helsinki. It is located in the oldest tram hall in Helsinki, built in 1900 by architect Waldemar Aspel.
The Tram Museum tells the story of Helsinki's public transport, starting with equestrian trams. The museum has trams, many related artifacts, paintings and a large-scale model of Helsinki 1870. -Luvulta. Kiskoilla is also highly appreciated in Helsinki in summer without an open carriage, which was last used during the Olympic Games in 1952 . Suits and equipment of drivers and sponsors of different decades tell about the work they have done. Electric trams and a shoe shop work in parallel in the museum.
On 12 June 2008 the Helsinki City Museum opened the renovated Cart Museum as part of the Korjaamo cultural factory.
The predecessors of Helsinki City Transport, Helsinki Omnibusosakeyhtiö, have been in business since 1887, starting with the Töölö Ruusulan summerhouse district. For the needs of horse-drawn carriage traffic there were stables, a wagon workshop, a laundry, an oil storage and a saddle workshop. When it was planned to maintain the equestrian tram, the name of the company was changed in 1890 to Helsinki Tram and Omnibus Company. He was responsible for the construction and operation of trams in the Helsinki area and on private suburban lines in Kulosaari, The Hague and Munkiniemi from the 1910s. In addition to trams, there were also omnibuses in traffic. The city of Helsinki acquired a controlling interest in the company in 1913.
The regular movement in Helsinki began in 1891. The first horse-drawn carriages went on routes Kaivopuisto - Töölö and Lapinlahti - Sörnäinen . At the turn of the century tram traffic was electrified. The start of electric tram traffic meant that the area was transformed into a modern hall area.
In 1900 the carriage hall was completed, now the tram museum is designed by the architect Waldemar Aspelin. Originally, there were doors at each end of the building, so it was possible to pass through it on wagons. There was also a horseshoe workshop in the building.
The conversion of the carriage hall into a museum began in the mid-1980s, which was completed in 1992. In October 1993, the Helsinki City Transport Department handed over its museum collection to the Helsinki City Museum, and the Tram Museum was opened to the public. Entrance to the museum is free.